Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 1 - Oct 24/5th - Getting There

Woke up at 5:30am in order to catch my 9am flight, my first ever. 24hr flight was extended to 25hrs after they found a problem with the landing gear. A 1hr delay was laughable in the face of such an epic flight, (is that the best you can do Air Canada?) especially since it meant switching to a plane that could actually land.

25 hour flight.

Highlights: takeoff from Pearson, The Hip over Canada, The Rockies, approaching Vancouver (lush green islands like seaweed serpents), super-friendly flight staff, finally getting to see "The Fugitive"(great!), complimentary hot noodles before landing in Seoul.

Hiccups: nagging headache, sore knee, intense turbulence, no sleep, numb ass.

Landed in Seoul around 7pm Saturday night, got my baggage, and was swiftly swindled by a Korean taxi driver who charged me 110,000 won to drive me to another airport. I knew I was getting screwed at the time, but this was an utter fistfuck--for that much won, I could have toured the entire island of Jeju.
Ah well, live and learn.

10pm Saturday: Saw the lights of Jeju approaching through bleary eyes...vaguely wondering if anyone would be there to meet me once I landed.

No comments: